Today is the first “real” fasting day of the five day “Longo Inspired Cancer Avoidance Fast” . Yesterday was the transition in diet day of basically two huge servings of a nutrient dense soup and a handful of nuts, documented here . Today is the day that we “really” do the fasting. The rules are only non-caloric beverages all day. Ideally that will be just coffee (regular and decaf), tea (black or green), seltzer water, Perrier/Pellegrino, and water. While artificially sweetened beverages wouldn’t break the fast from the calorie restriction perspective I’m trying to avoid consuming them. If I feel headaches coming on that resolve immediately with a little salt intake then I will take some calorie free electrolyte compound or consume a little nearly calorie free broth, ideally doing the former not the latter.
- 06:15 – up and at ’em! Time to get a little coffee (no creamer or suger of course) to start the day, which will be a pretty full one at that.
- 08:00 – Yoga and 30 minutes of light cardio in. Now just some SodaStream carbonated water and off to the races…
- 09:00 – I’m thinking that having flavored calorie free drinks helps break up the monotony that can drive people crazy with a true 100% water fast. Seltzer over water helps, even if one doesn’t put any flavoring in it. Something with a bit more flavor like coffee, even decaf, is even better though.
- 12:30 – as is usual for the first day of these fasts, lunchtime comes and the brain/body are like “ok where is the damn food?” It’s the same as when you travel and shift a couple time zones and your body craves lunch or dinner at “the wrong” time. Ah well just another seltzer water is all it got.
- 13:55 – Even on normal days I get that mid-day siesta feeling. I’m sure that the fast is exacerbating it though. Time for 6 ounces of high test coffee to perk up for a bit.
- 14:35 – The aroma of the pizza the person just walked by with flashed me back to that vile plastic wrapped reheat version we got served in grade school which tasted vile even to my 2nd grade taste buds. It’s making my mouth water right now though lol.
- 19:05 – Just over 24 hours into the core part of the fast. Dinner is a cup of black decaf coffee and some flavored seltzer water. So far so good, although part of my brain’s coping with the hunger seems to be doing meal planning for next week. I have a couple delicious Indian recipes from Chetna Makan of Great British Bake Off fame I want to try.
- 22:45 – That’s a wrap for Day 2. Besides getting pretty hungry around meal times everything was status quo. I think I can feel some loopiness coming on but nothing quite yet.