Fasting Day 5

Today is the final day, the transition out day, of the five day “Longo Inspired Cancer Avoidance Fast” . I didn’t sleep well at all. While I technically got more than seven hours of sleep it was pretty fragmented I’m down a yet another 2.5 pounds. My night time heart rate looked normal as does my heart rate variability and my morning blood pressure. Like the previous days I woke up feeling a bit hung over and dehydrated but once I started having some decaf coffee and water I felt much better.


  • 06:45 – Awake and craving my first real food in just a few hours even if the first batch is just some broth.
  • 09:00 – After a two mile walk and some post walk stretching exercises it’s time to eat my first food to break the fast. Right on time! I have sodium free bouillon which I added 1/4 of the electrolyte pack too. I also added a little over a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to it as well. A cup of this is 63 calories, 0 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of fat with the sodium, potassium, and magnesium ratios being in perfect ratio since they came from the LMNT electrolyte pack designed to be just that.
  • 12:00 – Finished making the 13 cups/3 liters of veggie soup that will make up my food for the day. You can find the post with the recipe here . Ate just half a cup of it with my standard morning multivitamin from Thorne and washed it down with some Pelligrino and maybe will add some decaf coffee in a bit. So far so good. The idea is to eat 1/2 cup to 1 cup regularly through the day and then have a big serving of what is left for dinner. I am not sure if I feel that different yet but I haven’t really taken in that many nutrients yet either so I think that could be expected.
  • 13:00 – Ate another half a cup of the soup while continuing to nurse the Pelligrino I had with the first half cup serving. Again so far so good. I’m doing hourly blood pressure and other vitals checks and all are within my normal range. Although blood pressure is definitely now at the upper end of my normal range rather than the lower end and looks more like what it is when I am in a not healthy state. Everything feels status quo but definitely not dragging ass this afternoon like yesterday…so far anyway…
  • 14:00 – Ate another half a cup of the soup all vitals are bouncing around in the normal range. I’m not having any GI issues. I think I’ll try a full cup in the next hour. Biggest problem I’m having today that I didn’t have previously is a very high craving to start drinking my diet soda again. Not until tomorrow though…
  • 15:00 – I picked just before it was getting ready to downpour to head out to the supermarket to get the ingredients for tomorrow’s Indian food recipe experiments. Made it back just before the heavens really started opening up. I got my one cup of soup in right at the top of the hour. All vitals are status quo. Definitely no fatigue this afternoon like last few days. I think I may be feeling a slight headache coming on but nothing quite yet.
  • 18:00 – Ate another cup of the soup at 17:00 and a bit more than a cup just now. Vitals all still look good. The blood pressure that spiked to the high end of my normal range, which is when I don’t have my health dialed in, is now sitting right around the middle range now. Still no fatigue for today. No head rushes, brain fog, etc. The headache I thought I was feeling earlier never manifested. GI issues haven’t manifested either. All that’s left for today is the big dinner searching of the soup. Which I’ll probably have between 19:00 and 20:00.
  • 20:00 – I underestimated how long it would take to heat up the soup I reserved for dinner so didn’t get started eating it until the top of the hour. I also underestimated how much food that was going to be after not eating for three days. On the transition in day I ate half the recipe at each meal no problem. Today it took me over 45 minutes to accomplish that and I am feeling very full. It’s the last food for the day though so now it is just calorie free beverages for the rest of the day.
  • 22:30 –With that the fast is entirely over. Tomorrow is back to regular eating of a dialed in diet. I’m very much looking forward to trying the new recipes.